Thursday, March 24, 2011

Super Hip & Knee Surgery February 2009...

Trinity had her first surgery in February 2009. Everyone was anxious, Trinity especially. As we waited in the back I found myself struggling to reign in my emotions. I didn't want to appear scared or worried in front of her, but the longer we waited, the more upset she became, the more stressed I was. On several occasions I considered walking out with her and just running back home. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to handle myself when they finally came to take her back into the operating room.

Thankfully one of the nurses brought this amazing stuff known as Happy Juice...

After the Happy Juice kicked in it was a lot easier. In fact, it was impossible not to laugh and smile. She was like a wee little drunk person. She wobbled all over and rambled about anything and everything with slurred speech. After the happy juice they asked her to pick out the color/design for her cast. She picked the American flag design...

Her surgery took almost 8 hours but everything went very well. Those 8 hours were quite possibly the longest eight hours of my life. We were updated on her every hour, but it still didn't seem like it was enough. I wanted to be able to know what was going on with her every second. When they finally came out to get us when she was in recovery I practically ran to her.

It took her a few days to get back on track. She hadn't needed a blood transfusion during surgery but they ended up having to give her one afterward. Her blood count was staying really low and she had very little energy and almost no desire to eat. After the transfusion she came around fairly quickly.

We were sent home after about a week. My mother had straightened up our home while we were away and set up a nice little welcome home gift for her. We were all very happy to be home.

Here's a little video that was taken right before she went into surgery. I love it. Bless her little heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment